Thursday, March 22, 2012

Hard to Classify

I've repeatedly noticed that many people have a very difficult time with a particular realm of metal. Viking/pagan/black/folk categorization fiascoes abound, and debates spring up endlessly over where the lines are, which side of the lines a particular band is on, and if the lines even exist. Well I have taken it upon myself to create a little Venn diagram which will clear everything up for you once and for all. If you find yourself asking which of those four classifications a given band falls under, and you just can't seem to decide for sure, then simply refer to the drawing and your question shall be answered.



















You'll notice I also threw in most of the other main sub-genres of metal, but that was mostly a "why not?" since I was already playing on MS Paint. And you'll also probably notice the lack of some connections, like death-doom. I suppose I could add a little rainbow bridge or something, but I'm too lazy for that.

Anyway, this should solve your problem.

2 comments:

  1. Nifty. Can't say I've heard much doom/thrash, though. It's really tough to diagram this kind of thing. I can't say I've seen a Venn diagram of it, though. If you had Photoshop, you could have played around with the positions more until you got them right, or at least closer.

    There are a handful of genre family trees out there. I even made my own, and a quick Google search shows that my site isn't even the first place it pops up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm pretty sure I had a specific band in mind for doom/thrash, but I can't remember what it was.

    Really, though, the black/pagan/folk/viking area was what I had in mind. I also think it would have been useful to add some bands in different places, but I didn't do that.

    ReplyDelete