Monday, February 21, 2011

Beards and WoW

I have been playing World of Warcraft off-and-on for a few years now. And typically, I'm all about the Horde. They're big, tough, spikey, and cool where many Alliance races are just kind of... girly. Orcs in particular are my race of choice, and now that I've finally bought Cataclysm the first thing I did in-game was to get my orc warlock from 80 to 85. That said, there is one Alliance race for which I make an exception. No guys, it's not worgen (though I guess they can be pretty cool too, in their own way) it's dwarves. Those burly little guys with their hugely muscular arms and their thick Scottish accents and their tough sounding names like Hammerfrost really hit a soft spot for me. And beside all this, they have EPIC BEARDS! As evidence, for those of you who are too cool to play WoW (or who value your time too much to spend it on a fantasy mmorpg) I submit this screen shot of my level 80 dwarf priest Agachak. See what I mean? Even on the tough and manly Horde you don't see beards like that. So while I normally subscribe to the idea that playing Alliance is for little girls, today I'd like to salute the brave bearded warriors of Ironforge. For Bronzebeard!

4 comments:

  1. I agree totally. The Horde side of the house lacks any really epic beard. Sure, the Tauren can have long, braided ponytail type beards; but beyond that there isn't much in the way of epic beards to compete with the dwarves.

    Now, as for dwarven noses... that's another discussion entirely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dwarf noses are indeed... shall we say "unique"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I played FFXI for like a month, and realized that MMOs are more work than fun, and I'd rather play a game in isolation from others. I guess I'm kind of black metal in that way.

    I've seen beards described as "epic" several times now, and I'm intrigued by the implications of that adjective. I don't disagree--it seems they must have a grand story behind them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's the Lord of the Rings imagery a good beard can evoke. Or maybe the mental picture of a fleet of viking ships sailing into battle with their weapons at the ready and their massive beards blowing in the wind.

    ReplyDelete